(Backdated weekly Facebook update)
Week Fifty Three.
So many of you are getting vaccinated and I'm so happy for you! And jealous, if we're being honest. It feels like a long time until I will be able to get one. I put my name on a local pharmacy's overflow list, and they said I might get a call this week, but with every day that passes I am getting increasingly concerned that I messed up my phone number, they just won't call, or I will miss the call.
P.S. Let me add in advance, there is very little likelihood that I will go to the fairgrounds hoping to get lucky for an extra dose. I am a rule follower, I don't have a ton of extra time, and the thought of being turned away repeatedly fills me with anxiety.
The school district announced today that they are planning to move to full days of in person school after Spring Break. ::deep sigh:: I have thoughts about this.
First, the pandemic isn't over. I am starting to relax some of my personal restrictions, but this feels like jumping the gun. Teachers can get vaccinated, thankfully, but kids won't be vaccinated for quite some time. Second, are we seriously reconfiguring the entire school day for a THIRD time in a single year with less than 2 months left to go? We finally have a good routine and I don't want to mess with it again. (On a selfish note, the only time I am able to get anything done here is when A and N play together in the morning when she finishes her work. Plus, I can kick them outside together! I can't send baby brother out by himself.)
BUT, also - Anna is very excited about it. (Ask me how long I think THAT will last.) I know of lots of other districts around the country that have had full days of school for a long time now, quite successfully. We haven't made a decision yet as to what we'll do.
![]() |
| Spring |
Nicholas will be 3 in a little over two weeks. How did that happen?? He's very independent, or at least, has very independent aspirations. He insists on doing everything by himself, and if you forget, for instance, to let him flush the toilet or spread the peanut butter or close the garage, may God have mercy on your soul.
He has learned in the last few days to pull up his own pants, after only about nine months of training, which opens up a whole new exciting world of not having to jump up every 25 minutes to the tune of "help me pull my paaaaants up!"
Here's what I'm up to these days:
Currently playing: Two Dots (suuuper addictive phone game); Fallout 4, again
Currently practicing: It is Well with My Soul and Gossec's Gavotte
Currently (re)reading: Pillars of the Earth
Currently listening to: Lent with Sacred Ordinary Days on Spotify, and in particular, "Reason to Sing" by All Sons and Daughters
Currently excited about: Vaccines! Easter! The library is open!
Current headache status: Better! They haven't disappeared, but they are less intense and less frequent.
And finally, on a completely unrelated note, and you know how much I love those, I got a spam email today from a "Kimberly" at some inappropriate adult website, offering, according to the subject line, a very sexy time in front of the fireplace. Just wanted to note that for posterity.
#highfive #weekyfiftythree #iwanttheshot
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A little background: the state of Washington operated a mass vaccination site at our local fairgrounds. It was a pretty cool operation - very well run, efficient, etc. The issue was that they were very inconsistent with applying the stages of vaccine priority. Because we live in a, well, "conservative" area, there were always extra appointments going unused. Sometimes, people who were not yet in an approved stage could just show up and get their shot, but it was very hit-or-miss. Did you happen to get a friendly volunteer who would look the other way, or was someone having a bad day - that type of thing. Some days they supposedly flagged down random motorists to keep shots from going bad. They've since closed it due to low demand.
Also - never did finish rereading Pillars of the Earth. I have read a record low number of books since this whole pandemic thing started. (Well, probably since having that last kid, if we're being honest). I just can't focus. I got the prequel to Pillars from a hold at the library and maybe read 50 pages before finally giving up and returning it. I'm now actively reading Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo and I think I might actually finish this one! Fanfare!





No comments:
Post a Comment