Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Weekly Recap: New Year's 2022

 (Backdated sort-of-weekly Facebook update)

Welcome to another irregularly scheduled weekly and/or monthly broadcast from our household.

Update #1: Anna has glasses (again)! She was prescribed a pair 2-3ish years ago, but the next year when we saw a different eye doctor, he said she didn't really need them. Good thing because by then she had lost them! But in the last year her eyesight has gotten pretty bad. The doctor said she wouldn't lose this pair because she won't want to take them off.
Actual transcript from the car ride home from the optometrist: "I can see that tree! Look, I take them off - no tree! There are letters on that sign! This is awesome! I have obtained the greatest thing in existence!"



Update #2: I got my Covid booster yesterday. No ill effects other than a very sore arm. Nicholas came with me and was very disappointed not to see an actual hole in my arm. To placate him, the pharmacist gave him an entire roll of stickers.

I, however, did not receive a single one. Rude.

Update #3: I managed to buy a Lego Home Alone house set this morning! I asked for one for Christmas, but they were very quickly sold out (like - maybe as soon as they were available). I was combing my hair after my shower and heard the mail notification on my phone. Glanced down, saw the subject line "back in stock" and promptly raced through the house in my bathrobe to the computer. Ben tries to maintain some semblance of professionalism while working from home, but it might be fair to say that the rest of us are working at cross purposes.

LEGOs were worth it.


Update #4: We have a biter. 😩 When I picked Nicky up from school yesterday, his teacher informed me that he bit another child, hard enough to leave teeth marks. He was apparently quite committed to this course of action, as he had to take his mask off to accomplish it. He lost all tablet privileges for the day, which was a pretty major punishment for both him and me.
Prior to this, he had tried biting a few times at home, and was always promptly punished. He's been repeatedly told that biting is never ok. We've read numerous books about not biting or hitting. It's like trying to feed information to a brick wall. A violent, angry wall with teeth.
In somewhat related news, I was looking in Anna's room for something, and came across her latest project - wall decorations, which consist of a drawing taped to a piece of cardboard. There was a nice rainbow, a sunset over the water... and a banana with the phrase "Home is where my death is."
In happy bubble letters.

Okay...okay...WTAF.

So, if you need me, I'll just be over here, snowed in and raising a couple of serial killers and trying not to be murdered in my sleep.
At least not until I get a chance to finish that Lego set.

~~~~~~~~~~

Adding from earlier in the week:

My friend and I participated in an unofficial local New Year's 5k! Normally there are a lot more people, but it was maybe 15 degrees. It was fun to walk it with her, and there's no way I would have gone out there alone, but I don't think I'd go again if it were that cold. By the time we were done my fingers and toes ached so badly, and I got a giant blister on my heel because I wore my snow boots. At least we can say we did it!

Shanna and I pre-5k; the whole group;
the river path.

1 comment:

  1. I am very amused by the banana decoration - it reminds me of those AI motivational posters. :D I'm sorry to hear about the biting, though. Our oldest was a biter and it seemed to take ages for him to outgrow it...

    ReplyDelete