Monday, August 3, 2020

That Time I Got COVID-19

Heeeey.  So yes, it's been almost a solid 3 years since I posted anything here. I thought I'd revive this for the sake of a long, overly detailed post about contracting COVID-19.  Spoiler alert:  I got an incredibly mild case, for which I am deeply grateful.  I have read the articles about people with "moderate" or severe cases and people with endless continuing issues and it is not lost on me how obscenely lucky I was.

On a Thursday evening in mid-July, I started coughing.  On Friday, the cough continued, not terrible but more than my typical allergy cough.  By Saturday, I was barely coughing.  I might have discounted it, but as I was pulling weeds in the yard, I got very out of breath.  I haven't felt that way before - like no matter how deeply I breathed, I couldn't get air.  

I more or less panicked and immediately made an appointment for that afternoon to get a COVID test at Physician's Immediate Care.  By the time I arrived, about 5 hours later, I felt fine.  No issues breathing, no coughing, no nothing.  The nurse and doctor that I saw, although both friendly and kind, all but assured me that I didn't have the virus.  All of my stats were great and I didn't know anyone who had it.  They went ahead and did the test, since I was there and all, but it was presented as a formality.  I left feeling pretty damn foolish and even a little embarrassed.  

As the next few days went by, I stayed home and monitored for additional symptoms.  There were none, nada, zilch.  I was getting increasingly embarrassed that I had "panicked" and gone in for a test.  I mean, I've been playing the "allergies or Covid" game in my head for MONTHS at this point.  Feeling absolutely certain that I did not have it, and foolish for getting tested, I put the pending test result out of my mind.  I agreed to let Anna have her drive-by parade for her birthday the following Friday.  

So, Friday morning, a few friends drove by to wish Anna a happy 8th birthday.  We stayed outside, we both wore masks, we tried to distance - those are just the rules of quarantine for everyone.  Later that day, almost a full week after my test, I got a call from the doctor's office.  Positive.  

That call sent me into an absolute tailspin.  I couldn't have this!  I have been careful, I have followed the rules!  I barely had any symptoms!  There was no fever!  None of my family are sick! And then the worst part - realizing we had just had a mother-frigging birthday parade that morning.  Can I just tell you that having to make notifications to beloved friends, who came by out of the kindness of their hearts, that you possibly exposed them to a potentially deadly or life-altering virus is the.absolute.worst.thing?

Because it was, by far and away, the worst part of this for me.  My symptoms were minor and over in 2 days.  But I still feel deep, abiding shame, guilt, and horror for not isolating the full time required for the test results.  I don't know if other people feel this strongly about it when they have to make notifications (probably not - I mean, not to brag, but I have an incredibly overdeveloped guilt complex).  There are tons of excuses I can give - I was told there was virtually no chance I had it, I had barely any symptoms, we followed the rules when we were outside, it took forever to get results - but it comes down to not being vigilant enough for long enough.

The good news is that no one we saw has developed symptoms.  It's been about a week and a half, and with each passing day I breathe a little sigh of relief.  Ben got tested last week as a formality for work, and his test was negative.  The kids are totally fine.  

Did I have a mild case because I only had a "small viral load?"  I remember reading that in an article.  Is that still considered a thing for this virus?  I don't know.  I'll never really know where I got it from.  I have never stopped wearing my mask in stores, etc.  The health department eventually called me for contact tracing, and I'm thankful I had a very short list of names to give them (2, to be exact).  I'm thankful I notified those people as soon as I knew the test results rather than waiting for that tracing call (which came 5 days after I got the test results, and 11 days after I got tested).  

In conclusion:  I am fine.  I feel normal, healthy, I don't think I have lingering issues.  I do get very out of breath running, but I always got out of breath running. (please see: being out of shape)  If you think you've exposed anyone, notify them ASAP.  Don't wait for contact tracing or any other bureaucracy to do it for you.  

Also wear a damn mask.

You read the whole thing!  High five! 


1 comment:

  1. Wow. Glad you and everyone else are OK!! I get the covid or allergy conflict. I've had it since March! LOL

    ReplyDelete