Well, as you can see, I did not keep up with my goal of posting a few times a week. Or month. I think we all knew this was coming. I've decided to start moving my weekly Covid recaps from Facebook over to the blog so I can find them all in one convenient location later on. Searching through Facebook is never a fun or simple task. Most of you who read this blog also are my Facebook friends, so I apologize for making you see them twice. I will do my best to add extra details or thoughts to them as they occur to me (sometimes you just don't want to put things on FB for various reasons).
This is the most recent - Week 40 (originally posted on 12/22/20).
_____________________________________________________________________________
Week FORTY. The big 4-0.
I have now joined the pandemic birthday club. (I am not, however, the big 4-0. A few more years left). To be honest, it wasn't that much different than a normal year. #christmasbirthdayproblems Thanks to everyone who took a minute to send greetings and well wishes!
The most exciting thing I did that day was get super annoyed with my long hair and chop off about 5 inches myself after my shower. Pro tip: do not attempt this if you, like me, are suffering from unexplained hand tremors and terrible insomnia. Also nausea and dizzy spells, but I digress. It's not a great haircut, it's not super straight, but it's a hell of a lot lighter and I don't regret it. Good enough for Zoom. (And yes, I have scheduled a doctor's appointment, but it's not until next week).
The kids are counting down the days until Christmas. Multiple times a day, sometimes multiple times an hour. I am seeking ways to fill our days to keep us from going insane until Friday. We have taken advantage of the warmer weather and gone on a few Christmas light walks at night. We went to John Dam Plaza, again. Did you know they have a leg lamp in the upper story of Santa's house there? I totally missed that on the first visit.
I was not intending on taking the kids to visit Santa this year, but I read an article about the system they implemented at our lawn and garden center this year and decided to go for it. Hey, it filled an hour and the kids were stoked. So excited they spent the ride there shouting "booby socks" over and over for no reason that I could discern and laughing like lunatics. Why are happy children so loud?
Anyway. So, Santa: you have to reserve a time slot for Santa. First, you swallow your better sense and pay way too much money for the privilege of seeing the big man through a sheet of glass and a few digital photos. When you get there, you check in and they take your family down a little "magic tunnel," and then you can see Santa in his cottage and talk to him through the window. Then you sit on a bench in front of the window for your photo while Santa lurks in the background. It was definitely not normal, but the kids didn't mind and I was comfortable with the precautions. Plus, they have reindeer.
Side note: Anna does not actually believe in Santa. She figured out the ruse two years ago. Yet, every year she pretends to suddenly believe again a few weeks before Christmas. As my favorite Christmas movie says, "Must of us are scoffers. But moments before zero hour, it did not pay to take chances." She's not getting a parakeet, though. I don't care what she told Lawn and Garden Santa.
A friend made too much gingerbread dough and kindly gave us half. I was planning on just not with dough this year (we did make cookies at Halloween), so that was an awesome surprise. All we have to do is bake and decorate. The kids were thrilled and the house smells amazing. Plus, decorating the cookies will take up the afternoon. Win, win, and win. Oh, and for the quadruple win, Anna offered to make the kids their lunches while Nicholas finished cutting out cookies. Who is this child?! Still ain't getting a parakeet, kid.
(Also, Anna really does seem to have forgotten about gingerbread houses, so thank you for this Christmas miracle, sweet baby Jesus.)
Nicholas has been letting me sing Christmas songs at bedtime instead of the ABCs lately. He screams at me if I try Silent Night, but he's a big fan of Frosty the Snowman. Last night about an hour after he was put to bed I heard him singing to himself over the monitor:
"Frosty the snowman...
Had a very shiny nose...
Thumpy thump thump thumpy thump thump
You would say it glowed..."
We'll keep working on it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Updates: Still don't regret the haircut. I did make it in to see the doctor yesterday but we're waiting on results from various blood tests to decide next steps. I'll address that more in the next update. Also, for my birthday, my family got me the Diagon Alley Lego set and it's awesome. I was going to try and make it last, but I only have two more bags (out of 20) to go before it's done.

Yes, please keep us updated on the blood tests, etc. Love you!
ReplyDelete