Sunday, October 18, 2020

First Month(ish) of Intermittent Fasting

 According to my fasting app, I've reached 37 consecutive days of fasting.  Results have not been dramatic, which is fine - and according to the books I've read, pretty normal, actually.  Maybe it's a little disappointing when I read about people who lost 10 pounds in the first month, but I didn't start this for crazy fast weight loss.

My trending weight went down 3 pounds in 4 weeks, and is holding steady there after the 5th week.  If I lose any weight in my second month is yet to be seen (as a general rule, my weight stays steady for 1-2 weeks after my period no matter what I'm doing, then drops by a few pounds for 1-2 weeks right before my next period, and then rises again during/after my next period).  

I'm not a huge fan of taking measurements.  I can never tell if I'm actually measuring in the same place, and it's hard to see minor changes if you're not being exact about where you measure.  Nevertheless, I gave it a shot, as one benefit of IF is supposed to be that even if you aren't seeing scale changes, you may see measurement changes.  From Week 1 to Week 5, I lost 2 inches overall (combined from 5 places - chest, right and left arm, waist, hips).  

I am not thrilled about posting these, but I did take some photos in the same too-small outfit. Please disregard my dirty bathroom.

October vs. September
(I clearly was not wearing a decent bra in the September photo 😅)

September vs. October

I don't know how to get Google Photos to let me choose which photo comes first in collages, so apologies for mixing up the first and second photos in each set. I guess there is a difference?  I'm reserving judgement until next month.

One of the best things about fasting, I've found, is that it doesn't really feel like I've been doing anything all that different.  I could see myself doing this long-term.  I'm considering throwing in one "down" day a week, or trying to push my window later in the afternoon, but I'm not feeling rushed to do it.  I still enjoy having lunch around lunchtime, and an afternoon snack.  To be honest, I'm not hungry for that snack, but I still want to eat it.  Is that weird? I don't know.  Hopefully I eventually move to actually listening to hunger cues. 

Prior to this, I had been doing my morning walks or runs before breakfast, as I feel really gross if I eat beforehand.  So I've been continuing to get my walks in in the "fasted state" - it does make me hungrier earlier, but it doesn't affect my walk.  We climbed our local "mountain" a few weeks ago, and I did that fasted as well.  It was certainly more strenuous and longer than my usual walks, but I didn't have any problems not having eaten.  

Well, the kids and I are taking a little trip this week and I have a ton to do, so that's enough about fasting.  I'll let you know what happens in a month!  Off to fill out my ballot so I can drop it off first thing in the morning. 




1 comment:

  1. I can see a difference! Good job! I don't think this would work for me, but we all have to find what does work for us and that we can do "forever". And what really matters is how you feel and your health! Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete