Saturday, August 28, 2021

Weekly Recap: The Car Wreck


More things I want to remember from Facebook (I just find it easier right now to be more active on that platform, but I'd like to work on changing that). 

I'm combining two posts here, because they make more sense together.  And yes, I realize I have not posted anything here in...a long time.  I will not be making any declarations about how frequently I intend to post going forward because I've done that, and then, well, NOT done that.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~


Ben and Nicky were driving to the grocery store today before lunch. They had a green light. Someone T-Boned the car at an intersection, "trying to beat the yellow light." He must have been gunning it from a few blocks away when he saw that yellow, because Ben was already most of the way through the intersection. I thank God for airbags, and car seats, and a fire station right on the corner. Ben and Nicholas walked away with only scratches and bruises, which to me feels like a miracle when I look at this picture.


(The following day)

An update after yesterday's craziness. I won't say a "brief update," because have you met me? Brevity is not my strong suit. Thank you all so much for the concern and love after the wreck. ❤️ The boys are doing fine so far. Ben says he feels like he played soccer yesterday, so kind of achy but not too bad. Both Ben and Nicholas have some impressive seat belt burns on their shoulders, and Nicholas has some faint bruises near his temple. It's still astounding to me that that's it.
We are on our way to Mt. Rainier National Park for a camping trip that we had to book way back in January or February. Of course, the original plan did not include a last minute van rental, with its bad gas mileage and sky high gas prices, or purchasing a brand new car seat, so it's shaping up to be a very expensive trip.
In order to get to our camp site, we have to bypass the Schneider Springs Fire, which is between us and Mt. Rainier. Last I checked, it was at over 70,000 acres burned and only 8% contained. So, fingers crossed that the fire doesn't decide to head west, and that the highway is still open when we head home.
It took us 2 hours longer than planned to get on the road, with what feels like all of our worldly possessions. We're hoping we can get the tent all set up before dark. This is Nicholas's second camping trip. If you'll remember last year - his first time out was a disaster.
So, to recap:
- 2 people who were in a bad wreck yesterday and the full extent of their injuries potentially unknown ✔️
- Wildfire ✔️
- Late start ✔️
- Toddler who sucks at camping ✔️✔️✔️
Not sure if we're slow learners or just plain dumb, but here we are. We have officially entered "apple maggot quarantine area" so we must be headed in the right direction.
But at least the scenery will be nice. Right? Yeah, surely the scenery will be nice.

"This is how you pack me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment